Thursday, March 19, 2015

HOME MATTERS: 10 Steps to Painting/Distressing Furniture

I was needing a desk for our main floor "command center."
REQUIREMENTS: Something with LOTS OF STORAGE, and pretty to look at too since it would be in our entryway hall.

I found this desk off of a KSL Classifieds listing for $80!!!! It's made out of real wood and had an "interesting" (read: super ugly) marble insert on the desk top. It definitely needed some love and a coat (or 2) of white paint. (sorry for the fuzzy pic--I forgot to take a full BEFORE picture, I was too excited to "make it pretty"---this picture is the one that was on the Classifieds).

 
Today I am going to show you...
 
 

It really isn't that hard to paint and distress furniture. All you need are the right tools:


Don't forget to prepare the space by covering the floor with plastic or a drop cloth

10 STEPS TO PAINTING/DISTRESSING FURNITURE:
1.) Take the furniture apart as much as possible--remove any drawers or inserts, take off the hardware.


2). Lightly and quickly sand the furniture to give it a less than smooth surface which will provide something for the paint to adhere to.
 
3). Then clean off any residue so there will not be any bumps under the paint. (Be sure to use painters tape to tape off any areas you do not want to get paint on)


4). Pour your paint  (I used the basic white paint from LOWES) into a painters tray



(Let it be known that if you do not want your desk to distress or to distress it yourself, you would want to prime the desk BEFORE painting. But because I love most of my furniture to be distressed and to distress over time as well,  I do not always prime my furniture pieces).

5). Use the paint roller to get a good amount of paint on the surface and then follow behind with a sponge brush--to get rid of any bumps or drips-and to give it a smoother finish.

6). Paint everything then let it dry and come back later to paint the second coat.
(I was also rather surprised that the paint adhered to the ugly green marble insert---you'd never even know it was there--my Hubby was thoroughly impressed)

7). FOR THE HARDWARE I used Rust-Oleum's  Metallic Oil-Rubbed Bronze spray paint--you can use any color or finish you like. But be sure to give your hardware two good coats and make sure to get all the sides.

8). IF YOU WANT A DISTRESSED LOOK: After your furniture has been completely painted (usually it takes 2 coats of paint, but some furniture may need more or less depending on whether you used primer) using sand paper or an electric sander, sand the edges and areas where you think the furniture piece might naturally have distressed.(I used an electric sander--it's much faster)


9).  Dust the furniture and put all the pieces back together.

10).  Re-attach the hardware and stand back and say "WOW! I did that!"

Now you get to do the most fun part:  Organizing and decorating it!








What DIY paint projects have you done?
Send me some pictures at
mattersofamodernmom@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. You are just amazing, that's all there is to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thank you! You just made my day!

      Delete