Friday, February 13, 2015

"Pin" my Place #4

Today marks another  very quick week for me. I've been working from sun-up to after sun-down this week trying to get our home in "order." It's been a lot of fun...but a lot of hard, long, work. I don't really feel like any one "project" is completed but things are getting organized, sorted, and put away (labels will have to come later).
 
SIDE NOTE: Thanks to all of you who are following my blog. It sure makes me feel good! I love blogging and this outlet is where my creative self gets to bloom so thanks for stopping by today.
Oh. And BY THE WAY....


 
 
With all that said, let's talk about the Pinterest "Pins" I used around my place this week:

 
This week I have been working on 2 closets (among other things). One closet held all the games, puzzles and learning activity books. IT WAS A MESS! Puzzle pieces were all over the floor, and falling out of the large moving box that we put them in when we moved 21 months ago (shameful I know). Game pieces were falling out of their ripped cardboard boxes...and it was just PITIFUL. So my Hubby built shelves (thanks Honey) in the closets and I began sorting, organizing. I needed to come up with some great storage ideas that currently worked better for both puzzles and games, so...

..I went to Pinterest :)

Pins that inspired me: Game Storage
(Rasing Lemons)
 I LOVE this one because it looks so streamlined! No more weird shaped boxes stacked awkwardly...that no one can really get to without unloading all the other boxes. This system also allows you to just remove one drawer at a time...and they are deep enough to hold most game pieces and accessories. The ONLY 2 problems with this system is once they're all filled there's no more room to buy more games...but that just helps keep down owning too many "things" right? The other problem is that some game boards are long and don't fit in the drawers. But I came up with an idea to remedy this.
I placed the long game board next to the shelving unit that contained it's pieces. Card games were also taken care of as well.
Simple. Done. Now I just need to label those drawers (next week's project).

Next I needed to find puzzle storage.
I loved these 2 pins :

(Counting Coconuts)
(The Navy Stripe)

I went to several stores to find inexpensive pencil pouches, but they were all around $5-$7 EACH, and I couldn't afford didn't want to pay that. The first pin with the plasticware WAS affordable from the Dollar Tree but I didn't have the space. Hmmm, what to do?
So I thought and decided to combine what I liked from both puzzles storage ideas.

I took Ziploc "slider" qt. size bags, a sharpie, and some scissors and set to work.


 I placed puzzle pieces from one puzzle into one baggie. ( I chose the zipper kind because they are easy for kids to unzip and zip  back up--whereas the regular Ziplocs can be tricky for little fingers to reseal.)

If the puzzle was a board puzzle. I wrote a number with the sharpie on the back left hand corner of the board and placed the same coordinating number on the Ziploc bag that held it's pieces.

 
If the puzzle was just a regular box puzzle I used my scissors to cut out the picture from the box and placed it in the Ziploc with the puzzle pieces. I then wrote the name of the puzzle on the Ziploc bag.

I used a storage bin to hold all of the large puzzle boxes, puzzle boards, and another storage bin to hold all the Ziploc bags.


It's not finished-I still need labels-but at least it's organized!

How do you store your games/puzzles?

Have a happy Valentines day!







2 comments:

  1. Clever!!!! Love the ideas for the puzzles especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has actually made a difference and the kids are playing with them more! YAY

      Delete